This is the first episode of season three where we are talking about parenting insights from the Bible.
Parenting is a personal growth opportunity. We are faced with many challenges and difficult decisions starting well before our children are even born. And while our ‘job’ of raising them may end in a couple of decades, we are always a parent that influences their lives.
We’re taking a few fine insights from the brief story of Jochebed from the book of Exodus to focus on trusting God for our needs and the needs of our kids. Jochebed showed great trust in God’s faithfulness; a trait that we need for many of the big decisions we as parents need to make for our family. She also needed to let go of her baby and trust that God would take care of him. While this baby happened to be the one chosen to rescue the Hebrew people from slavery, Jochebed was a mother that did what she thought was right to allow her child to live – even if it wasn’t with her.
- Doing what’s right for your family.
- Not being afraid for their future.
- Seeing the good/beauty in your children.
- Praying for knowing the purpose/calling for our children. Sometimes what we think their calling should be isn’t what God wants for them.
- Story of Jochebed (Exodus 2)
- They saw (Moses) as beautiful, Hebrews 11:23, Exodus 2:2
- “Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up. Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers.” (Galatians 6:9-10)
Do you have a testimony of trusting God with the lives of your children? It doesn’t have to be like the extreme situation Jochebed experienced. We make many decisions about our children’s lives where we have to trust God for the outcome. Comment below with your thoughts on the ideas we’ve talked about.