As the mother of Timothy (who Paul calls his ‘true son in faith’), we learn that Eunice raised him in faith from birth. If both his parents were Jewish that may not be such an important point to raise, but his father was Greek (as noted in Acts 16:1-2) and his mother was Jewish. We can’t know how difficult it was to have Timothy know the Holy Scriptures, but through whatever method Eunice instilled in him a ‘sincere faith’. As mothers that is our purpose from God: to raise our children with wisdom and knowledge from God, even though we may have struggles of our own that make that difficult.
- Eunice was Timothy’s mother. She raised him in the faith since birth (2 Timothy 3:15) – Making spiritual investments.
- Timothy was notably a young missionary, but well-versed in scripture.
- A generational connection to God that strengthened Timothy in his faith and ultimately in his ministry. Heritage of faith.
- 2 Timothy 3:14-15 says, “But as for you, continue in what you have learned and have become convinced of, because you know those from whom you learned it, And how from infancy you have known the Holy Scriptures, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus.”
- “I am reminded of your sincere faith, which first lived in your grandmother Lois and in your mother Eunice and, I am persuaded, now lives in you also” (2 Timothy 1:5).
- “Train up a child in the way he should go; even when he is old he will not depart from it.” Proverbs 22:6
Continue the Conversation
Our children are never too young to instill in them the wisdom and knowledge from God. What do you do with your children to instill a sincere faith in them?
The Startup Story
Hear from the creators of Firing up Faith and Family about why they encourage other moms in their many roles and responsibilities. This short introduction…
Read More »
The Calling of Teaching Your Children (Homeschooling or Not)
Whether you take on all the education of your children or not, teaching your children is happening in all kinds of ways. Hear some approaches…
Read More »
Family Games – Learning Through Play
Playing games together as a family is not only fun bond-building time, but it can also be educational. We’re sharing some games that we do…
Read More »